One Day, One Minute, One Rule --– 34
34. What were the previous and revised rules for filling the Higher Selection Grade-I (HSG.I) vacancies in Post Offices (POs) and Railway Mail Service (RMS) Offices, and what directive was issued by the Department of Posts in 2013 to address the issue of these vacancies?
According to the existing Recruitment Rules for filling HSG.I vacancies were as follows:
• HSG.I in Post Offices (POs): The 1976 Recruitment Rules, as amended in 1980, specified a 50:50 ratio for promotions. This meant that promotions could come from either:
o HSG.II General line officials with three years of regular service.
o Assistant Superintendent of Post Offices (ASPOs) with two years of regular service.
o However, all posts created after the 1980 amendment were to be filled exclusively by promotion from HSG.II officials with three years of regular service.
• HSG.I in Railway Mail Service (RMS) offices: The 1976 Recruitment Rules initially provided for promotion of HSG.II officials in RMS with three years of regular service. These rules were amended in 1993 to earmark 43 out of 111 sanctioned posts for promotion of Assistant Superintendent of Railway Mail Service (ASRM) with three years of regular service.
The Department of Posts issued a directive on April 18, 2013, to address the difficulties caused by not filling these vacancies on a regular basis. This order was a result of consultations with the Department of Personnel & Training (DOP&T) and the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) regarding the amendment of the Recruitment Rules.
The key directive in this order, number 04-44/2012-SPB.II, was as follows:
• The Department of Posts advised all postal circles to proceed with holding the Departmental Promotion Committee (DPC) meetings to promote HSG-II officials only to HSG.I on a regular basis. This was to be done according to the existing Recruitment Rules.
• The DOP&T had not yet clarified whether ASPOs could be promoted to HSG.I, so a separate reference was being made to the DOP&T for this matter.
• The directive set a deadline for the circles to convene the DPCs by April 30, 2013, and issue promotion orders by May 6, 2013. A report on the promotions had to be furnished to the Directorate by May 10, 2013.
Post a Comment